HOW TO RETRIEVE YOUR MISSING FILES AND FOLDERS ON A VIRUS INFECTED USB DRIVE
Hello there, this is our second edition on computer viruses and thanks for staying with us as we guide you through taking control of your computer from the backdrop of a viral invasion.
So you plugged in your USB drive only to find that all the files and folders are missing or there is only the shortcut to the same drive inside, what do you do…
First and foremost, do not panic because in almost all cases you will notice that your drive is still halfway full and that means all the items on the drive are intact just waiting for you to access them. Then follow these steps;
- Open the USB drive in question, click on the “View” tab on the menu bar and click on “Options” (for windows 8 and above). For windows 7, click on “Organize”, then click on “Folder and Search Options”. These will lead you to the folder options dialog box.
- Click on the “View” tab in the dialog box. In the options below choose to “show hidden files”. Next untick the “Hide protected operating system files”. Click “Yes” on the pop-up.
- You can now click on “Apply” and “OK” to close our dialog box.
- Back in our USB drive’s window, we will see a light-coloured folder/drive icon mostly without a label. System Volume Information and Recycler folders if they are present are normal hidden folders on any drive and no cause for concern.
- Now open our light-coloured folder/drive aaaand… voila, all your files and folders intact. I recommend cutting them and pasting them back in the root drive folder so they can be accessed without going through these steps on another computer.
In our next issue we will discuss how to actually get rid of the shortcut virus WITHOUT the help of an antivirus. For all your PC and smartphone issues, leave a comment or contact us on 0501384495
ASCORP!!! BRINGING I.T SOLUTIONS TO YOUR DOORSTEP…LITERALLY
Posted on October 20, 2016, in Computers, Desktops, Laptops, Latest Technologies, Software, Uncategorized and tagged computer, Desktops, files, folders, hidden, how to, missing, pen drive, Software, USB drive, virus. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.